HRMC's Brandenburg and Henson Honored at Awards Ceremony
January 22, 2020
Huron, S.D. – Huron Regional Medical Center (HRMC) honored employees for 575 years of combined service in addition to two employees for exceptional customer service skills at the hospital’s Employee Awards Presentation on Friday, January 10, 2020, at the Huron Event Center.
During the evening event, 32 employees were recognized for sharing their hearts and years of service, ranging from 5 to 45 years, with hospital patients. Employees and their family members enjoyed a meal while celebrating 2019 and the care provided by all in attendance.
In addition to the service awards, HRMC recognized two employees with special awards. Karen Brandenburg, who has worked as a nurse at HRMC for nearly 34 years, was selected by coworkers to be the 2019 Exceptional Employee of the Year from the 12 monthly exceptional employee candidates.
According to coworkers, “Karen is a valuable employee due to her knowledge of the intensive care unit, medical floor, emergency room and her experience as a supervisor,” the nomination forms continued. “She is very knowledgeable, kind and caring towards patients and fellow employees. She works for positive change.”
Brandenburg holds an associate degree in nursing from Dakota Wesleyan University in Mitchell, S.D., and completed the Program of Practical Nursing at Mitchell Area Vocational Technical Institute. She and her husband, DelRoy, live in Huron and have two grown sons who live in the Sioux Falls area with their families.
Receiving the 2019 Mickey Mouse Award was Kelsey Henson, who works as a receptionist in HRMC’s medical imaging department. The Mickey Mouse Award began in 1989 in memory of Dr. David Buchanan whose uplifting personality and contagious smile were an inspiration to all that knew him. Each year, an HRMC employee who is dedicated to making people feel better in whatever they do is selected by their coworkers.
According to her coworkers, “Kelsey is accommodating and has a cheerful attitude along with a sincere caring way that makes others feel respected and happy,” according to one nomination form. “She is an all-around professional who is helpful, encouraging and considerate; making life better for everyone. You often hear her ask, ‘What can I do for you?’”
Henson walked through HRMC’s doors a little over a year ago and since then has greeted medical imaging patients with a warm and genuine smile. Prior to joining HRMC, Henson worked as a receptionist at Avera McGreevy Clinic in Sioux Falls. She is originally from Huron and is the daughter of Dan and Judy Henson. She has a one-year-old son named Matthew.
Other employees honored at the awards ceremony for service anniversary awards included:
- Roberta Arnold, Environmental Services
- Amy Camin, Health Information Management
- Katie Deniger, HRMC Physicians Clinic
- Ellie Kleinsasser, Rehabilitation Services
- Sue Lansing, Nursing Administration
- Lacey Larson, Home Health
- Holly Traen, Surgery
- Raleigh Larson, Surgery
- EhMwee Pohto, Human Resources
- Susan Prentice, Business Office
- Gail Robeson, Nursing Administration
- Ne’Cole Werdel, Medical Imaging
- Donna Bartel, Health Information Management
- Stacie Dowling, Marketing
- Rhonda Hanson, Human Resources
- Earl Hinricher, Pharmacy
- Jeannie Allerdings, Business Office
- Deanna Decker, Environmental Services
- Peggy Eckmann, Emergency Room
- Cindy Fernholz, Business Office
- Marie Langbehn, Rehabilitation Services
- Jeff Noyes, Plant Operations
- Amy Goergen, Inpatient Services
- Jennifer Kalahar, HRMC Physicians Clinic
- Joani Ochsner, Surgery
- Rodney Bender, Plant Operations
- Mary Binger, Obstetrical Unit
- Cathy Perry, Dialysis
- Pam Shoultz, Surgery
- Philip Wollman, Plant Operations
- Sandy Tarbox, Medical/Surgical Unit
- Deb Mattke, Rehabilitation Services
To view service award winner photos, visit HRMC's Facebook page.
Back to News Listing | Subscribe to News Alerts | Back to Blogs | Back to Girl Talk Blogs